We will continue to strengthen the relationships between regional manufacturing extension partnership entities and manufacturers. Many regional MEP organizations have unique and valuable services to assist manufacturers in the aerospace supply chain. Regional best practices need to be identified by manufacturers and recommended to serve all states. Stronger regional connections to aerospace companies and related supply chains need to be developed to collect that input. Two specific areas of analysis will be:
· Supply chain identification/expansion
· ISO Certification assistance to potential supply chain companies
Additionally, there will be focus on capturing an even greater percentage of the global aerospace market. With projections of growth for the next 20 years it is important for US manufacturers to not only keep pace with that growth but demonstrate a competitive advantage. A specific area of discussion will include STEM/workforce development partnerships.
Lt. Governor Rebecca Kleefisch, Chair
Interactive area for Small Manufacturers Committee
Aerospace States Association (ASA) Aerospace Manufacturing Special Committee Charter
I. Background: ASA is a bi-partisan organization representing the grass roots of the American aerospace industry. It is an organization of Lieutenant Governors and state appointed delegates. The ASA was formed to promote a state-based perspective in federal aerospace policy and support state initiatives that enhance education, economic development, and the competitiveness of the U.S. aerospace industry.
ASA will accomplish this by:
- Advancing America’s vision for space science and exploration.
- Implementing the NextGen aviation system as soon as possible.
- Promoting an educational system that will result in an aviation and an aerospace workforce that is second to none.
- Stimulating investments in science, research and technology at levels that will ensure American leadership.
- Revising legal and procedural export controls to increase the U.S.’s ability to compete in global markets.
- Emphasizing the importance of small to medium-size aerospace manufacturers to the economic health and competitiveness of the industry.
We will work to achieve these objectives by mobilizing industry within our states and local communities, creating partnerships between industry and our education and training institutions, working with federal agencies, informing the media, and bringing together state congressional delegations. The U.S. aviation and aerospace industry are a national strategic asset. It is vital to our national security and the well being of our economy. We must join together now to create a safer, stronger, better and more globally competitive America.
II. Goal of the Manufacturing Special Committee: Improve the global competitiveness of U.S. small to medium-size aerospace manufacturers in such a way that will benefit local, state, regional and national economic interests.
III. Committee Chairs: The initial Chairperson of the Manufacturing Committee is Robert Mansfield, Jr., Brigadier General, USAF (Retired), will provide professional guidance to the committee, direct day-to-day activities, and be responsible for recommending funding decisions for consideration by the committee to the ASA. After the initial term, Chairs will be selected by the ASA Chairman as part of the regular biennial election process.
IV. Committee Membership: All state Lt. Governors, their representatives, and Associate Members are eligible and encouraged to participate on the committee. Membership is focused on those interested in achieving the goals of the Manufacturing Committee in particular states, regions and across the country.
V. Responsibilities of the Manufacturing Special Committee: The responsibilities of this committee include but are not limited to:
- Developing a biannual agenda that addresses the needs of the aerospace manufacturing industry; with emphasis on the small to medium-size firms that comprise the majority of our nation’s aerospace manufacturing supply chain.
- Engaging the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) community to create a strong “SBIR for Manufacturing” emphasis that can be a resource to fund innovations which directly improve the efficiency, profitability and competitiveness of firms to grow their businesses.
- Encouraging federal Manufacturing Extension Program (MEP) organizations in the states and territories to become associate members of the ASA and join the Manufacturing Special Committee.
- Identifying resources that can help American aerospace manufacturers improve their performance. Areas of interest include, but are not limited to technology, processes, and most importantly the aerospace workforce.
- Developing position papers; identifying policy issues and recommendations for the ASA membership to consider for presentation to state and federal officials.
- Increasing the ASA presence in its for coordination and collaboration with national, local and regional organizations working to enhance manufacturing in the United States; for example: the National Institute of Standards and Technology, National Association of Manufacturers, General Aviation Manufacturing Association, National Association for Advanced Manufacturing, Aerospace Industries Association, the National Defense Industries Association, including state MEPs, not-for-profit aerospace organizations and workforce and economic development organizations, whether ASA members or not.
- Increasing the ASA coordination and collaboration with technical schools, colleges and universities that offer courses and programs that are relevant to manufacturing in the aviation and aerospace industry.
- Identifying opportunities to finance the operations of the committee.
- Encourage aerospace manufacturing organizations to become ASA members.
Vermont Chamber Aerospace & Aviation Trade Show
Showcasing Manufacturing & Propelling Vermont’s Economy Forward
August 8th, 2013
10am – 4pm
Burlington International Airport
Meet key contacts and exhibitors. Discover new resources, business, supply chain, networking and career opportunities.
Register for airport parking voucher and enter raffle to win Porter Airline vouchers.