American industries and universities have been global leaders in aeronautics and space since the Wright Brothers. This is because America has had a vision of a better tomorrow, a well educated and technically skilled workforce, and a robust investment in science, research, and technology. This research has been accomplished with one eye on the needs of all humanity while providing significant tangible benefits to the American economy. Unfortunately, in recent years, America has been losing its competitive edge.
Continued reductions in U.S. sponsored aeronautics research, strict export controls, and a lack of a national policy are heading our Nation down a path where America may soon become a second rate economic player in the world civil aviation market. We are allowing an industry that was once America’s largest positive contributor to our balance of trade to dry up while competitors in Europe, Asia and South America invest heavily in technology development to capture an ever-growing share of the world civil aviation and space launch markets.
ASA is a bi-partisan representative of the grass roots of American Aerospace. It is an organization of Lieutenant Governors and state appointed delegates. ASA was formed to promote a state-based perspective in federal aerospace policy development and support state aerospace initiatives that enhance student/teacher education outreach and economic development opportunities. ASA is now working to rally America to improve U.S. global aviation/aerospace competitiveness.
ASA will accomplish this by helping to achieve the following:
- America’s vision for space science and exploration.
- Implement the NextGen aviation system as soon as possible.
- An educational system that will result in an aviation/aerospace workforce that is second to none.
- Science, research and technology investment to ensure American leadership.
- Revised legal and procedural framework for export control to increase U.S. ability to compete in a global market.
- Educate state legislators on state and national aviation and space issue through state ASA chapter events.
We will work to achieve these objectives by mobilizing industry within our states and local communities, working with federal agencies, informing the media, and bringing together state congressional delegations. US aviation/aerospace competitiveness is vital to our mobility, our national security, and economic wellbeing. We must join together now to create a safer, stronger, better America.Follow